Self-care is about keeping fit and healthy, understanding when you can look after yourself, when a pharmacist can help, and when to get advice from your GP or another health professional. If you have a long-term condition, self-care is about understanding that condition and how to live with it.
Self-care is recommended when you have a minor condition which doesn’t normally need medical care (from a doctor or nurse) or any treatment in order to get better.
The NHS provides lots of great resources to help patients self-care.
For genral symptom management, please visit NHS Health A to Z
What 0-18 NHS – What 0-18 NHS is a superb resource for guidance and support for families with children up to age of 18. It’s packed with helpful information and tips to manage concerns and identify any conditions that need more urgent support. You can access it at what0-18.nhs.uk.
You can also self refer to all of the following services.
- Mental Health: Psychological Wellbeing Service
- Bereavement support: Cruse.org.uk
- Sexual Health: icash
- Alcohol and Substance Misuse: Change Grow Live
- Stop smoking service (CAMQUIT): Camquit or call 0800 018 4304
- Diabetes Information – Diabetes Information Page (Grove Medical Practice)
- Blood Pressure Information – Blood Pressure Information (Grove Medical Practice)
- Podiatry self referral: Podiatry Service
- Minor Eye Conditions Service: Minor Eye Conditions Service
- Occupational Therapy and Equipment: Occupational Therapy Service
- AGE UK/Dementia: AGE UK, Alzheimer’s Society (alzheimers.org.uk)
- Social Services: Adults – Cambridgeshire County Council or https://www.caringtogether.org/carers-directory/cambridgeshire-county-council-8
- Community Support: Care Network – Care Network (care-network.org.uk)
- Citizens Advice: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
- Volunteer Transport Services: Huntingdonshire Volunteer Centre | Car Scheme (huntsvc.org.uk)
- Support for carers: Support For Carers | Cambridgeshire, Peterbrough, Norfolk (caringtogether.org)
- Weight management support: https://healthyyou.org.uk/services/healthy-weight/#:~:text=Healthy%20You%20Tier%203%20weight%20management%20service%20is,to%20patients%20through%20a%20multi-disciplinary%20team%20%28MDT%29%20approach.
- Relate Cambridge: Relate is a charity which provides the UK’s largest provider of relationship counselling and sex therapy. Relate Cambridge is part of the national organisation working with people for over 80 years to build better relationships. Some of the services they offer include:Relationship counsellingSex therapySex addiction therapyFamily counselling.Patients can call direct on 01302 347866 or email: email@example.com
- Support with Gambling: East of England Gambling Service :: Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust (eofegamblingservice.nhs.uk)